PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of V/S at high levels in A320
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 19:04
Rayoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of V/S at high levels in A320

Here you have my question guys:

Above FL250 use of EXP CLB mode is not recommended.

Normally, if we are very heavy is more evident, the CLB and OP CLB modes (using managed speed) have the tendency to Level off, gain some speed, and continue climbing every now and again.

That is why I was taught to use either V/S and slight increment of speed (using selected, in order to keep speed as high as possible and Thrust) or just select slower speed to increase angle of attack.

I have been in different companies and I have seen both techniques, although in the company I am now, V/S + selected speed increment is not considered.

Disregarding reasons that come from experienced guys, such as V/S is not used at high levels in climb due to incidents that happened to conventional planes where the crew selected V/S at high FL, forgetting about it later on and leading to a stall, I would like to know if it is permitted the use of this technique as we have protections, is more accurate (constant V/S) and is a tool of the aircraft.

I was kindly asked by one of the captains in the airline to show him where it says we can use this technique, and although in FCOM´s and Training Manuals use of V/S, CLB and OP CLB is defined and considered I could not find any reference of interrelation between the use of this modes and selected speed.

As I did my TR under Standard Airbus Procedures and Line Training under supervision of Airbus approved TRI´s I do not think they are wrong in the use of this technique but I would appreciate anyone who can help me to know if V/S and Selected speed (near Vmax) is a forbidden or not recommendable procedure by AIRBUS.

Thanx chaps!