PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Test Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 17:18
MarkMcC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by portsharbourflyer
I haven't encountered any examples of European based FTEs making the same transfer (referring to multi JAR 23 and above) and partly due to the fact in Europe we don't have the diverse range of manufacturers. Genghis however does suggest otherwise.
I've seen it happen in Canada, however only in the light aircraft world. It begins to get difficult as you get into bigger aircraft because the certification authorities become progressively pickier. In any test program what really matters is that the data collected is acceptable to the certifying authority, and that you have the appropriate finding authority in place. In certain areas (performance and flying qualities) this is difficult to do without someone at the controls who is specifically trained in flight test techniques. systems evaluation is a different kettle of fish...and we could go on for hours there

Originally Posted by portsharbourflyer
As an aero grad, fATPL,FI(R), five years in the aero industry and about to transfer to a job with a heavy emphasis on flight test engineering, then I hope that I can progress from FTE to TP, well I guess only time will tell, even if the TP part doesn't happen I'm sure the FTO work is going to be a great experience.
This is difficult without specific training, mainly because of the requirement for tps (or PEXAs in my case) to conduct handling qualities evaluations. Performance testing is increasingly done via simulation or instrumentation. Systems testing is a nebulous area and is often better done using human factors experts and experienced aircrew than with tps (although you need them initially...). Handling qualities, and the associated JARs and FARs, is where tps earn their salary, and for that you need specific training. This is a tough nut to crack, 'cause while I'm aware of many short courses that deal with certification and systems, I don't know of any that deal with handling qualities - probably because you need to fly exercises in 10 or 15 different aircraft and then beat your head against the wall trying to figure out what you've seen (the joys of the variable stability lear jet... ).

All that being said...if you're flying as an FTE it's still test flying! Best of luck getting some seat time>