PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise on joining/finding group aircraft
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 09:48
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group membership

Coodem,

I am approaching the same point that you have already reached. It is, however, part of my personal approach to look well ahead and do quite a lot of odd bits of information gathering well in advance of my actually needing the information. I have been looking at group ownership for some time.

One thing I have learned is that group ownership, while being by far the most cost-effective way to obtain your flying once you have a PPL (unless you are 'loaded'), is nevertheless a potential minefield.

I believe that the choice of people to share with is at least as important as the choice of aeroplane. Likewise, the particular terms and conditions of membership of the group.

There are books written on the subject of aircraft ownership, which include group ownership. Certainly, there have been numerous magazine articles on the subject that are all worth tracking down.

AOPA used to have a book on aircraft ownership. They also had a standard form of agreement document for ownership groups, which would be a useful yardstick against which to judge any agreement you are asked to sign. All this is worth tracking down.

Are you friendly with any of the instructors at your home aerodrome? These people usually know which are the good groups and good aeroplanes and are worth tapping for information. Likewise the engineer who runs the on-site workshop (if there is one).

'Hope this helps.

Broomstick.