PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GVFWE - Important please read
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 08:18
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not venturing far....

Au contraire!

The lovely Nicky and I are planning to fly from Old Warden to Barkaby Stockholm for the EAA Fly-in June 3/4, some 800 miles.

Heres our route -

Old Warden EGTH - DVR - Calais LFAC - Ooostende EBOS - Midden Zeeland EHMZ - Hilversum EHHV - Hoogeveen EHHO - JEV - St Michaelisdonn EDXM - Kiel EDHK - KOR - Angelholm ESDB - OF - Eksjo ESMC - OL - Norrkoping-Bravalla ESCK - Stockholm Barkaby ESKB.

Our Miles Falcon G-AEEG is 70 years old this year/ 70 years since it was exported to Sweden as SE-AFN. It served throughout the war as a 'light transport' in the Swedish Air Force.

An important part of Swedens aviation history I felt compelled to make the trip 4 years ago and had such a great time I felt we needed to mark its 70th.

Winner of the 79 Kings Cup (at 139mph - not bad?!) it holds the unique record of the oldest aircraft ever to have won it.

It came back to the UK in 1961 ( changing hands for ten quid!). The logs show plenty of european trips since.

Cruising at a sedate 115mph it will fly for a bladder busting 4 1/2 hrs, transporting us in armchair comfort too.

It wasnt many years ago that Torquil Norman ( please flog me your lovely Dragonfly..) flew his Leapord Moth to Oskosh(?) via the Northern route.

So, I think the 'not venturing far from backyards' comment is an uninformed one, as i'm sure other posters will verify.

Fingers crossed for the weather!

Hairy