PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning an Airliner
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 07:48
Kiwiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't say the BAC-111 crash had anyhting to do with cargo shifting. You're making that connection yourself.

I referrred to the Channel Express F.27's cargo shifting rearwards. At the time Flight International published a photo showing the aircraft landed flat and did not strike nose first. I seem to recall mention of a flat spin.

In terms of the BAC-111 crash I read an account of the crash many years ago stating that it was in a flat spin at impact. Even without black boxes it is usually evident from the impact whether the impact was flat or not.

With regards to the Mu-2 many pilots will not fly her and have an apprehension of it because of it's accident rate. Fair comment. If Mitsubishi want to draw attention to the claim with banner headlines, so be it, but I think they have better things to worry about.

In many respects I actually like the Mu-2 design. If it has flaws then it is appropriate for the professional pilot community to discuss this. Many aircraft designs are pretty fantastic but have a single flaw which damages their reputation, for example the Comet 1 with square windows, or the L-188 Electra which vibrated it's engines off until it's speed was limited to 350kts.

Pity aircraft manufacturers would think to sue before thinking to rectify something as simple as power levers.