PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning an Airliner
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 06:55
fantom

Dog Tired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kiwiguy
I recall a Channel Express F.27 freighter had it's cargo shift aft on approach and it went into a flat spin. There was something similar about a BAC-111 spin test...
Roethesod about the Mu-2 which I have never flown personally, I gather they all have some difficulty with power levers (constant speed pitch levers)down between the pilot's seats being vulnerable to being knocked or having a friction nut deficiency. I gather that it is not uncommon for one of the power levers to retreat without the pilot noticing.
This plane is a well known widowmaker and the issue seems not with the engines, but with deficient power levers.
Kiwiguy,
I think the unfortunate F27 suffered a C of G issue and, when the final stage of flap was selected, became uncontrollable in pitch. I don't remember anything about a 'flat spin'.
As I recall, a BAC 1-11 was lost during a flight test programme concerning stalling and had nothing to do with 'cargo shifting' or a 'flat spin'.
In my hazy recollection, the Mu-2 was denied British certification as (perhaps, inter alia) a consequence of the forward window integrity not meeting British requirements. I would hesitate to refer to a type as 'a well-known widow-maker'. Unless, of course, you have private, unlimited income to support an expensive libel case.
Just my humble opinions, of course.