PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pay to fly, no way!
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2006, 23:41
sunny77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, 404 Titan is correct, you can always go o/s. But if you don't mind flying turbo props, Australia still has the RFDS, although not all of the sections are the same. They are good employers, pay is not very good, operate mostly new equipment and training standards are (generally) fairly high. Lots of ugly shift work though, and the hours are not too valuable because most employers see it only as a KingAir or PC12 and therefore not jet hours or RPT (although in reality they are excellent hours indeed). Iconic Australian job though!
What about Sunshine Express ??
Even the corporate companies are asking for the endorsement on type before starting now. The times have changed.

It will be interesting to see if the industry maintains this current focus on pilots paying for endorsements; there is real evidence of a reduction in the supply of pilots.
The helicopter industry still seems to endorse their pilots at company expense.
From a business point of view, it is a no-brainer to pass the expense of endorsements onto the pilots, however Qantas and notable others prefer to do their own training to ensure standardisation from the outset. If I were an insurer (and I am not obviously) I would prefer the company to do the endorsing.