PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2006, 14:26
Edinburgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old FAA instructors coming to Europe

Just wondering if there are other people out there with similar experience as me.

I have close to 2000 hours total time and have both FAA and JAA CPL MEP-IR licenses to my name as well as the ATPL(a) theory. However coming back to Europe after been working as a flight instructor for 3 years in Florida to continue my aviation career has proven to be a bit more tricky than I was hoping for.

I have as so many other pilots here been sending out a huge amount of CV's, trying to use my contacts and create a network but so far without much success.

Most of the responce I have received on my applications have been what you all must have experienced, that I need a Typerating with 500 hours on Type or so, but actually at one time i got the feedback that I had too much experience, which I found to be a bit funny, since all I want to do is fly and I guess experience must be a positive when one is looking for jobs, but then again I was proven to be wrong.

What I am looking for is really just to hear from other pilots coming from America with 1200+ hours to their licenses and what their experiences have been finding jobs in Europe.

Have you had to buy a typerating? If yes, did that help you getting the job?
Have you had contacts that have helped you to get you the first job?
Have you struggled like me?
Have you got experiences, good or bad that you would like to share?

My downfall so far must be that even if my total time is quite high only 80 hours of these are multi engine time. I know of at least one company that rejected me for that reason.

Thank you for your participation.