PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the big deal with 90th Anniversaries?
Old 26th May 2006, 09:25
threepointonefour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Washington_Irving
but to try and glorify industrial scale carnage for such little gain is bordering on obscene and I dare say that if you had a grasp of the history of the battle, you'd feel the same way.
How arrogant to assume what I do and do not have a grasp of from one short comment. Incidentally, I have a full grasp of all the WWI battles you mention and have not just read Faulks' 'Birdsong'.

Why waste money and energy on utterly pointless 90th Anniversaries when it would be better spent on Anniversaries which warrant the effort? You'd think that pointless wars had not happened since from your comments - like WWI was the last one - I can only think of one which qualifies as having a 'point'.

If we actually remembered the pointless wars a bit more often, than pointlessly remembering an arbitrary year anniversary, then perhaps the pointless wars might stop.

Originally Posted by Washington_Irving
God knows that from you have posted here, it would seem like you could do with some cheering up.
Not in the least. Like I said, you misunderstood my original sentiment, perhaps because I misused the word 'celebrate'.

It seems we're drifting from my point - I guess my question really should have been, "What are we all going to do next year for the 91st?"