PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air: More A330 Direct Entry FO !?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2006, 08:03
goufair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulf Air: More A330 Direct Entry FO !?

The new A330 Direct Entry FO are in Bahrain. A group of 6 is now under training, more will follow in the next weeks and months. I have nothing against these individuals, but more against our management.

As a reminder, here is our VPO point of view:
"Recruitment of Direct Entry First Officers on the A330: In the last year, we recruited 16 First Officers directly onto the A330 to facilitate the release of A330/340 First Officers to the A320 for Command. This year we shall have to take a similar path in order to adhere to our previously stated goals of upgrading to Captain from within and of movement onto the A330/340 from the A320 and B767. In fact, without this entry stream, all command upgrade and any other fleet movement would be impossible."

Can't you fill these position by transfering A320 FO? Not only your are pissing your 320 crews off, but you will soon see some of these A330 DE FO jumping ship, give them 500H or 1000H on A330 and they will go back to Europe or to Asia etc. That's a fact.

Should I remember you also that the A320 fleet is under continous (and especially the last weeks) great 'rostering' pressure? It is only the beginning of the summer... Even our chief pilot says so: "We all know there is a crew shortage on the A-320 fleet. It is critical we maintain fleet coverage as best as we can during these difficult times. This is hopefully changing soon, but you are all asked to help the company as best as you can with your continued hard work, dedication, and dealing with the constant changes to all of our rosters.(I LOVE THIS LAST SENTENCE-CAPT NASSER IT HAS BEEN ALWAYS DIFFICULT TIMES SINCE I JOINED 2 YEARS AGO...Do you remember DEC05/JAN06 and last summer and etc...)"

To the management: I give you a first hint: hire ONLY A320 FO, I know you are doing it, but you have to increase the numbers, make these guys progress in your company and then they will stay longer with you. (I have a question for you, how do you see the career progression of one of these A330 DE FO? you think they will stay 10 years on 330/340 to wait for a command on A320: NO, they will all go after few months / years for better conditions)

Second hint: transfer your FOs from within your fleets. It might reduce the number of people jumping ship, again by giving them a better career progression.

(Maybe you just dont care about career progression (and making your employees happy) - you are maybe just filling gaps so in that case dont call yourself management - because everybody is capable of this)

Last hint: don't tell things to people you can not do. There is a growing number of unhappy A320 FO: you promise them (as they joined) a quick A340 transfer (course dates and names published and presented to us), most of them are still waiting. You recently cancelled an A340 transfer course, even more recently you reduced the july transfer course from 6 to 2. Where are we going? FO will resign go back home (BA/AF/LH-US/Canada?) fly for Dragonair, Cathay, All Nippon Cargo, Virgin etc. Plenty of jobs everywhere...

Not to mention that we are working very hard for less/same money than our colleagues on the long haul fleet (compare a 12hours duty on 320 and on 330/340). It is a fact since Gulf Air closed the AUH base. Too many sectors a day and not enough time away, so the salary is not good enough. Ok I have to be fair: thanks for the 3% but dont forget the 5% in July! By the way I am still waiting for the review of our housing/schooling allowances...

I am also aware that's not the only "problem" we have in Gulf Air. See the 767 upgrade of A330/340 FOs ...

So what is the next step if management continues this way ? I have an idea, but will you follow? Or am I the only one feeling this way ?!

If I am really the only one, I might have to go and get chill pills,foot massage, and call sick !

Last edited by goufair; 26th May 2006 at 08:15.