PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the big deal with 90th Anniversaries?
Old 26th May 2006, 08:00
Washington_Irving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by threepointonefour
What kind of unit do you come from where you need a reason?

So the German army marching into France was not very relevant to European stability?

Incidentally, I've drunk to a number of 'departed' colleagues in memory. But you missed my point - why not put the effort into a memorial of the major sacrifices instead of ALL these big 90th dos?
As have 99.9% of the rest of us, sadly. However, I would argue that there is a vast qualitative difference.

Overlooking the point that history may not have been your strong suit at school (I can recommend some excellent books on the origins of WW I if you want), I'd like to suggest that instead of a mess and/or hangar full of people staring into their drinks, trying to get their heads around what sustaining casualties on that scale (570,000 on both sides btw) fighting for a few acres of marsh would be like, it might be a better idea to celebrate something (anything) that we can be happy about. Personally, I don't see it as anything as a pointless, bloody waste of human life in a war that could have been avoided. That it should be remembered is certain, but it should be commemorated appropriately- as has been the case through cenotaphs throughout the country, Remembrance Day parades, museums and some astounding momuments (not to mention the cemetaries) that dot the European landscape- but to try and glorify industrial scale carnage for such little gain is bordering on obscene and I dare say that if you had a grasp of the history of the battle, you'd feel the same way .

Now, on the other hand, if you can demonstrate that air power played some ground-breaking or pivotal role at Passchendaele (similar to the deployment of tanks at Cambrai- another failed offensive) then you might have some claim to relevance of the Royal Air Force 'celebrating' it.

God knows that from you have posted here, it would seem like you could do with some cheering up.