PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is involved in production testing helicopters?
Old 25th May 2006, 17:13
BlenderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without specifing the Texas helicopter manufacturer, I picked up 2 new helicopters from the factory last year, and some of the "minor" discrepancies,

- Mast Seal Leaks that got all the cabin roof covered in oil
- Improperly installed seals in the fuel cap area which led to tons of fuel seeping to the space between the aircraft floor and the fuel cell having to pull out the fuel cells out and cleaning and regasketing everything.
- Improperly installed radios with non shielded wire having tons of problems with them before being usable.
- Smoking engines
- Main rotor blades that came with visible dings that had been poorly covered up
- Bad instruments
Plus other little things such as,
- Old rusty cables on the map lights
- Missing headsets
- And a ciclic grip which had been spray painted with glossy black paint. covering all the labels.

Fortunately the Bell people in Mexico are absolutely great and they worked hard at solving all these issues once the aircraft was here.

As an additional story I once went to pick a brand new business jet to Wichita Kansas, my boss wanted to delay delivery for "unspecified reasons" so he told us to go and pick up the aircraft but that we couldn't leave the factory until the aircraft was in perfectly good shape and everything was working properly, with the aircraft sitting on a beautiful hangar, placed on a red carpet, delivery ceremony standing by, we found 64 discrepancies with the aircraft that had to be taken care of, we spent 14 days at the factory and before everything was perfect we had flown it about 5 times and still couldn't get everything working, that thing just kept on going into the red carpeted hangar and coming out to the plant!!

When you go pick up an aircraft to the factory never trust it to OK just because it just got out of the factory.