PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bumps …
Thread: Bumps …
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2006, 11:55
Mad Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Whoopsie

You're further on than me as I haven't gone solo yet.

I quite like the bumps 'cos I started flying doing Aero's trial lessons.

I have the same instructor in Flat and Aero flying and I think he knows the bumps don't scare me as he's taken me up in some very bumpy situations and I haven't freaked yet.

The only times I've been distracted by them is:-
1 When a "big" air pocket picked me up and then, just as quickly, dumped me when I was trying to master slow flight.
2 Had quite a few bumps when trying to come in to land but my instructor said not to fight it as by the time I'd corrected it, I'd be through the turbulence and would have to correct again - higher work load.

I think I'm gradually learning to ride through them rather than fight them - the temptation to put a death grip on the yoke is always there.

If "fear" is the problem you could always try an aero's session with an experienced instructor and then you'll feel more comfortable that flying in unusual attitudes is still controllable (whether you've put yourself there or whether you're bump assisted) - may help with the straight and level - or maybe I'm just a total aero's nut who thinks flying upside down should be the norm.