PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 rating + line training...
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2006, 08:11
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phileas Fogg
To reiterate, 100 hours is nowhere near the industry standard of 500 hours thus 300 or 400 hours might get one a look in, 100 hours is condidered pretty much as a type rating only by the prospective employers.
Have to agree. I know of several pilots with low total time who have done a type rating and found it difficult to get a job. I know a few who have then dived in to get 100hrs line training and who are still struggling to find employment. I also know of a few who have got jobs subsequent to a type rating paid for by themselves and not as part of any particular airline employment 'scheme'.

It still comes down to hard work securing that first break and spending cash on the rating and/ or hours is not in itself going to get you employed. Another factor seems to be age. If you are no spring chicken then buying the type rating and getting line training still doesn't make you fit the 'experience commensurate with age' profile of many employers and you still can't get a look in.

An interesting point which seems to confirm what Phileas Fogg says about an 'industry norm' of around 500hrs on type, is that my airline will put you through the complete 737 type rating course again if they employ you with a 'bare' 737 type rating. However, they will pick up the tab for this as opposed to those who join with no 737 type rating who have to enter into the slightly reduced starting salary to pay them back £10k over 5 years.

PP