PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Plane on Fire in Afghanistan..
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2006, 16:04
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of a close call! Thank the Good Lord that everyone got out ok - well done to those involved - 'shreddie changes' all round!? I bet the beer will taste good tonight!!!!

I'm sure everything will come out soon enough but a tyre-burst v engine damage theory seems 'a bit thin' to me as the tyres are well covered by fuselage/doors. Also, the tyres are well below and behind the 'business part' of the inboard engines - but the tyres are in line with the ext fuel tank (if a K). Lots of other possibilities, tho' - FOD v Aux Fuel tank, SA v Fuel tank/engine, uncontained Engine Fire etc. Any hares running yet?

However, it is also peculiar how the damage became so widespread, so quickly. Would foam have helped stop the spread of fire - maybe? dunno? I am sure the BOI will do a thorough job whatever.

Don't suppose there was any fire cover other than a donkey's water trough, half a mile away! That, however, is an operational risk everyone knows is impossible to get around. But I thought we carried an extra large chem-foam fire extinguisher for emergencies for strip-work? That might have helped? - tho' on the other hand, probably not!

Whatever the cause, that is one less Albert in the inventory - that means less training, less kit, less felxibility, more money req'd from MOD/Treasury to replace capability - bu@@er!

But on the other hand - 2 Gp must now be overborne with crews - so expect the redundancy letters from PMA soon!???

Last edited by flipster; 24th May 2006 at 16:15.