PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL school near Reading, Berks?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2006, 07:41
wsmempson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I did my PPL with BAFC at Booker and can't recommend it highly enough. It is true that it has less of a vibrant social scene than WLAC - which is superb - but the BAFC flying school is 1st class - which at this stage is probably what you're looking for. The ATC at Booker is a full tower, looking after the GA circuit, helicopters and gliders on an opposing circuit. If you learn to fly here, it'll set you up well for later.

The fleet of aircraft, mostly PA28 warriors, is looked after by the in house engineers and although most are old, are pretty immaculate; I've only ever had one go tech on me, in four years of flying. The teaching is great, although instruction style varies teacher to teacher and some I learnt more from than others (I just didn't hit it off with one of them, so this is more of a 'Human Factors and Performance' issue, than a criticism); Pick one you get on with and stick with him/her, you'll learn faster. The instructors are all career teachers (or ex-BA pilots doing it for fun, it would seem) rather than hour-builders. There is a real difference, as I'm sure you'll discover.

To the north of the field is a big area of class-G airspace which is great for training. WLAC is within the London CTR and I just know as a student that at some point I would have blotted my copy book badly on this score

The main problem at Booker is that the Cafe/bar/restaurant is owned by a third party and, although beautifully decorated, is a study in incompetance; I've routinely waited 45 minutes for an English breakfast and had to leave before it's arrival. The management are more interested in the money they make from running it as a night club during the evening than serving drinks or bacon butties to aviators and, from purely a business point of view, who can blame them.

Otherwise a great place to do your PPL. Enjoy!!

(PM me if you want more info)

By the way, I am not connected to BAFC or on commision.....