PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of 121.5mhz (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:31
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D & D is unique in that it is a dedicated service one of the few in the world.

The UK authorities deem that it is acceptable for UK pilots to practice calling D & D in simulated emergencies.

In my 18 years as a PPL I have made one practice call whilst on my own and one position uncertain call a year or two later.

In the real case, I had no hesitation in putting in the call to D & D knowing what the response is like in both style and TONE.

Within 3 minutes I was sorted. I have never had to call again but would not hesitate to do if I had to.

This is in contrast to some ATS units where nothing in the world would make me chose to talk to some of the condesending and smug t*ats who operate them.

Anyway to ensure we retain D & D they need to show they perform a useful service and GA calls underpin the demand. Of course, the airlines do not fund D&D so do not control it like they do with NATS.

I am sure the D & D guys would rather be helping GA pilots and real emergencies that listening to some ignorant foreign pilots discussing who they slept with previous night when they use 121.5 incorrectly.