PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ben's PPL Diary
Thread: Ben's PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 18:55
Mad Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi Ben

I took up flying this year after getting hooked on Aero's. 14 1/2 hours (3 are Aero's) and in the circuit.

My Instructor is also an examiner.
For your information you don't have to do Air Law before your solo, but you do need to have an aviation medical for PPL but I believe you can get a GP medical for NPPL. Flying schools say that you have to pass Air Law before soloing to encourage students to take it as it's a pig.

I also have to say that it is beneficial for a soloist to know what to do if they come into conflict with other aircraft - my instructer posts in some of these forums and I don't want a clip around the ear!!!

So far I've passed Air Law(79%), Human performance and limitations(100%), Flight performance and planning (90%) and Aircraft technical (90%) in 7 weeks. So they can be done quickly with a little effort. I'm using the Thom books.

Word of warning (courtesy of my instructor) the rules are as follows:-
You have 18 months from the date of passing your first exam to get them all. You then have a further 24 month's to get all your flying done.

I'm planning to do another 2 exams before the summer (RT & NAV) and then sit back for the next 12 months or so before doing Meteorology as I don't want the flying clock ticking too soon.

As for circuits - the actual circuit isn't too bad now, approach is dodgy and as for getting the wheels on the runway - aaagh!!!!

Good Luck with your lessons - keep us informed.

Last edited by Mad Girl; 24th May 2006 at 07:12.