PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:55
TheEvilDiesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jester282
Thank you for such an eloquent and well-reasoned answer.

I was going to say that, regrettably, my 'rant' late last night was fuelled by being knackered from having spent another weekend working long hours training ACO adult staff (which is true). However, having read it again this morning, with the option of using the edit or delete buttons, I opt to leave it as stands.
Jester, as always a well put response.

Having spent 2 days trawling through this whole thread, I felt it was time to "bust my cherry" and post something.

As a "veteran" of 20 annual camps and 21 years as a member of staff in the ACO (18 as an Officer), I have come across several VR(T) Officers and AWOs who should not have been appointed.

However with the advent of more control in the form of H&S, Risk Assessments and the additional admin that goes with running any cadet activity there is more training offered, this training is never going to match that offered on IOT, it isn't meant to, it is there to enable the VR(T) Officer (and ASNCO) to carry out their duties on Squadron and on military establishments. This training and better selection processes are weeding out the "coat hangars". Things are changing, but it all takes time.

I would add that in my experience, Regular and RAuxAF personnel on stations are friendly and willing to help where they can, and to them I would say a huge thank you as this support is vital to the continued success of the ACO.