PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush jet 'damaged Canberra runway'
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 05:47
Victor India

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Canberra International Airport" is privately owned. I believe the astute gentleman's name is Terry Snow. He bought it a few years ago for a pittance.

Having frequently used Pavement Concessions, I can say that almost without exception, one of the conditions of the PC is that the (aircraft) operator will meet the costs of repairing any damage to the surface caused by the overweight or high tyre pressure movement.

Since the case in point was a US Presidential visit of political significance, I reckon the Canberra International Airport saw this as a prime opportunity to write a contract of sorts which almost guaranteed some free upgrades paid for by yours truly. So the PC was granted, with the condition being that someone (US Government, Australian Federal Government - didn't matter who) would cough up some money after the damage was done (assuming of course there was any significant damage ).

Perhaps Johnny's mob - embarrassed by their little Canberra backwater with it's crappy sub-standard runway and the prospect of George W being told to p1ss off in the future - agreed to step up with the dollars to avoid loss of face with George W. Don't reckon Air Force One would visit many national capitals needing a PC, let alone ANY where the application for one would be denied...

So it would appear Mr Snow has done very nicely thank you It looks like his little regional airport will soon live up to its namesake...

VI

Last edited by Victor India; 23rd May 2006 at 06:09.