PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heading for disaster
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:04
Nigel Osborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COTB has at least put forward a plan. I don't agree with it as I think 4 years without a decent amount of flying & continuation training is a must. But why be rude about his idea?
In the real world even many chief pilots & base managers sweep the hangar floor & wash the helicopter, so why shouldn't a newbie assist?
Obviously the best way to learn is through the military as you get paid well to learn, get good instruction & general grounding & come out with enough experience to get a job, even if not always a good one. Again obviously not everyone can get selected for the military or perhaps not get through the training or just simply don't like the idea of being in the military even for a short while.
This means as a civilian, you now have to pay your way & that will cost a lot with possibly no job at the end. So what's the answer? If the answer was easy, there wouldn't be this current problem & general heart ache but no small or perhaps biggish company can afford to carry you while you learn as they do need to make some revenue.
I have offered my services to help a new pilot just for my out of pocket expenses to help him learn his trade & hopefully stay alive! It's surprising how many new pilots have said they have a license thanks & don't need any help. Oh well, you can't please everyone!