PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 22:47
Jester282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cards on the table. I am a VRT officer, am a scaly brat as I come from an RAF family background (three generations) and have been in the ATC since the age if 13 as a cadet, CI, AWO and Officer.

Despite having met some prats and walts in my time, some of whom were actually exRAF airmen / NCOs who fancied "lording it" and "poncing around" as a VRT officer, I am proud of my service - yes it is service, not military / combat service obviously, but service - of thousands and thousands of hours over many years - to the best youth organisation in this country.

No I am NOT a wannabe and no I don't "ponce around" on RAF stations looking for salutes off airmen. Yes I do know some individuals who do / have done that and we - as in those (the vast majority of VRT officers) who know what we are in and why we are in it and don't suffer from delusions of grandeur - laugh at these walts and are embarrassed by them.

To all of you out there who are criticsing VRT officers, as you have such strong opinions why dont you offer your services to the ATC - obviously as a CI or Adult SNCO as you wouldnt take the commissioned route - and put half as much effort into advancing the ATC. You may find out that your strongly held opinions are actually totally unfair and reflect a small minority of idiots and walts that should never have made it into uniform of any kind (except perhaps traffic wardens), and that the majority of RAFVR(T) officers (and the AWO / SNCOs and Civiian Instructors) work their nuts off to generate great training opportunities for young pepole.

Now I know I am going to get a load of flak off some very opiniated people but I don't give a monkey's stuff. Enjoy attacking me for speaking my mind.