PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 19:27
Martin4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oli463
I think you either have aptitude or you don't... But it can't hurt to practice!
This might be interesting, well i found it quite interesting to read

Originally Posted by from a website
Can Aptitude Be Improved?
Although studies seem to suggest that aptitude test scores cannot be improved, other research shows that that may not be the case. Tests such as the Scholastic Aptitude Tests contain many questions that are content-specific, particularly in math areas. Performance on these specific types of items is trainable.

Some experts feel that short-term cramming might not affect aptitude test scores. However, long-term instruction in broad cognitive skills might improve general test performance. Cognitive theory and research suggest that learning ability can be improved by training students in learning strategies. Improving academic aptitude may be possible through a systematic curriculum that complements direct training in learning strategies with both the development of general thinking approaches and the application of those approaches over a variety of different tasks and content areas.

What has been learned about training to improve aptitude can be summarized as follows:
  • Attempts to train aptitude must go well beyond practice and feedback. What's needed is intensive training in strategies involved in task performance along with higher level monitoring and control strategies involved in guiding performance and in transferring skills to new areas.
  • Educational efforts to improve aptitude need to be long-term.
  • Abilities of students and methods of training interact. Attempts to train strategies must fit the tested aptitudes of students.
  • Practice and feedback can be effective when students are already proficient in the ability to be trained.
  • Intrusive training may be harmful to high aptitude students.
  • Training ability works best when treatment utilizes some of the student's other strengths.
  • Some aspects of intellectual aptitude may be more easily trained than others.
When i was waiting to take the RAF airman selection tests i bought a few books on aptitude tests and psychometric testing, great to read and has some practical stuff you can try out and practice for the tests. www.amazon.co.uk has some great books you could buy.