PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military back-up refused for strike by firefighters
Old 22nd May 2006, 18:32
Colonal Mustard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by opso
How many firefighters (including retained) are there and how many have been killed on duty in the past 10 years?
How many servicemen (including reservists) are there and how many have been killed on duty in the past 10 years?
Still reckon that the job is equally hazardous? Reducing the time period of sampling only makes the firefighters job less hazardous by comparison, owing to the impact of Iraq and Afghanistan. Indeed, if trying to show the real level of hazard faced, try the comparison of firefighters against people resurfacing roads and you'll see that the latter claims more lives on the job!

YES,i do feel they are equally hazardous having done both.....i feel i can comment with knowledge.....valid point though, i think i can safely say that at times when sat in a slit trench with the threat of a mortar round incoming i WOULD rather be tucked up in bed....and conversley when trying to perform resucitation on a 6 year old in a garden who subsequently died after he was pulled out of a house fire i DREAMT of wanting to be in the NAAFI again.

Sorry Moderator if i overstepped