PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:22
Sook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all let me say how interesting this thread is.

Let me explain my background so you know where I’m coming from. I joined the ATC aged 14 and 8 years later left as a CWO. I am currently a CI, and I am applying for a commission in the VR(T). After I finished university I considered joining the RAF, but I wasn’t really interested in becoming an EngO as they didn’t seem to do what I wanted to be doing, which was work with the aircraft. I got an offer from a civvy company doing design, so I took that. I considered joining the RAuxAF, but around my neck of the woods they are Regiment units, and playing in the mud has never really been my thing! So I decided to stick it out in the ATC, and am currently deputy Adj on my squadron as well as doing various other jobs.

Now I may not have any real knowledge of how the RAF works, but I feel that after 10 years involvement in the ATC I do have a good knowledge of how the Corps works. I feel that this stands me in good stead if I actually get commissioned. I understand that it’s easier to achieve a commission in the ATC than the RAF, but if I was offered an IOT course similar to those RAuxAF officers go through I would jump at the chance. If I’m going to be an officer I don’t want to do it half-arsed! I am very proud of the RAF and the association the ATC has with it. It’s what marks us apart from every youth organisation in the country.

At the end of the day, I do like being in uniform but I’m not really fussed if my commission is real or just an ATC one so long as it allows me to get the job done to the best of my ability.

I’m sorry that some Regular and Aux personnel have had bad experiences (as I have) with VR(T) officers who have ideas above their station, but generally they’re not a bad bunch.

Finally, and please don’t take this as in anyway sarcastic, could someone who has served in both the RAF (or RAuxAF) and the VR(T) give me some examples of how their service knowledge helped them in their ATC capacity? I am genuinely interested, as having little knowledge of the day to day running of the RAF, I can’t comment on how similar/dissimilar it is to the ATC.

Thanks

Dave