PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance
Thread: Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:21
TwoDeadDogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all
Several points: I've had millionaire owners begrudge me my very cheap rate for Permit renewal, until I invite them to take it to a JAR-145 outfit.....I'm not keen on owners mucking in unless I know them personally and know that they are competent with a spanner.I'd like to see an owner go down to his local VW/Audi/whatever main dealer (or his dentist or his solicitor or the farmer who raised his dinner...) and tell the mech that they're mucking in with them to save costs....there's two sides to the paperwork equation;I've had the aircraft's books handed to me in a plastic bag, completely out-of-date, check pages not filled in,etc....I've had owners carry out mods and only find out after the fact (quote: oh, yeah, I changed the prop.Guess I forgot to tell you.Sorry...)....some owners have a grossly unrealistic expectation of how long it can take.It's quite common for even minor tasks to eat up time,such as undoing and replacing screws and the like corroded into place because neglectful owners don't keep an eye on their aircraft!) and especially paperwork snags.Also, when the paperwork wends it's way to the authorities,it's out of my hands and phoning the Feds to try and speed things up only irritates them!
There's more to it than just spanner-turning!
regards
TDD