PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:39
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew Gilligan discovers disturbing new evidence of how wounded Iraq veterans are being abandoned,
Nothing new about that. It happened after WW1 and WW2 as well. Even more recently, I know a chap who served in the Paras in N.I. A young lad of just 19 at the time, he was blown up by a bomb and badly injured. After a year recovering from his physical injuries he was discharged as medically unfit. His mental injuries were never treated and he still sometimes wakes up at night screaming and occasionally wets the bed. Tossed aside when no longer useful, he's never received a penny in compensation for the injuries he received 'at work' and he's never found employment. He doesn't complain and works for himself doing odd jobs - window cleaning, painting and decorating. He gets on with it as they say, but even though he's content with his lot, his treatment angers me.

If this 'Federation' has anything to contribute to such situations, then its probably worthwhile. But I'm reminded of the expression...

"Be careful what you wish for. You might get it."