PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low fuel state - Land immediately?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 03:41
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
I always took the position that it is far cheaper to send the fuel bowser out or dispatch an engineer to check something for a pilot than have an aircraft damaged or destroyed and maybe some injuries or deaths.

The only point I was trying to make with my earlier post was to suggest RFM's/checklists that dictate "Land Immediately" or "Ditch" do not fit all situations. The reason we get paid such awesome amounts of money is to use our noggins and make decisions that result from a careful, rational, and deliberate consideration of all the factors that affect the decision.

Combat pilots face that situation every day when flying over known hostile territory. Sometimes precautionary landings just are not an option and forced landings are done only as a very last resort. The same can be said for flight over hostile terrain or in hostile climatic conditions.

The decison has to be based upon what is most prudent and prevents the least danger to the occupants of the aircraft. Aircraft themselves are merely re-usable containers designed to be used to protect the contents and are disposable items. I would not hestitate one bit to use up the airframe and engine(s) to protect crew and passengers.