PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low fuel state - Land immediately?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:48
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read you Paco,
where I fly it is nearly impossible to get acurate weather just for your destination, not even starting with en route weather!
You are also right about the legal limit, it is exactly for "unforseen" changes of circumstances.
And you are right, if the light comes on you do have a couple of minutes and when you find the place stop looking, take it!
The bad news is, if you know the perfect place - the only place, but do you have enough to make it?

Gordy, your R-experience might have had something to do with increasing that safety margine at Robinson

I understand the latest R-44's have an easy 12 min if not more. POH stills says "about 8 min" at MCP.
The only way to make sure on your specific machine is to drain to the point where the light comes on and then measure the rest. From there you can guestimate pretty good how long the engine will stay warm!

I just still remember all the stuff that goes through your little grey cell bunker, when you have the damn light on and don't know IF you have enough to make it!

Just the thought of getting close to the light, makes me feel, ..... not good.

Genocchio, tell your students to use common sense!
You are not ditching unless you have to.
You are not looking for a "better" place if have an aceptable one right here (preferable with a pub close by ... ).
You are not trying to crashland if you still have a running engine. It is not about saving the helo, but even a planned crashlanding is dangerous. If you have the slightest chance to go on to a landable place, go.

There is some basics you have to instill. One of them is to never give up, fly the machine until nothing moves anymore. You give up, it is over. Never quit flying until everything stops!

"Personally with low fuel , eng chips, etc. If I didn't have a good spot I would continue ( with an auto in mind) looking for the first available safe place to put it down" - Amen, rotorboy!!
I had the forward bearing on the compressor get "unsupported" some time ago - it makes you an instant glider!
Then, I had the engine chip detector come on on a new EC120B - approx. 70 TT. All it was is, run in fuzz,cleaned the sensor, never came on again.
So, as 212 said, it all depends - when, what, where...

212, you are talking some serious damage now and there you are right.
I am still talking low-fuel light. Most likely you know wether the light is playing tricks or not - How long have you been in the air? What do the fuel indicators say? Can't vouch for the bigger rigs, but for the smaller ones a auto to the water is about as easy as a landing. For ditching ( ... no floats) it should be about the same. If you go that route you're as prepared as you will ever be! If there is the slightest chance that you can make it to a landable spot, go for it!

3top

PS: 212, I don't get your comment about "definition offered by Robinson", please set me straight....

Last edited by 3top; 22nd May 2006 at 03:04.