PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low fuel state - Land immediately?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 23:41
genocchio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Low fuel state - Land immediately?

Here is a question that I have for some of the more experienced drivers. I recently had a student who did a checkride and during the oral the examiner asked if what he would do in a low fuel situation. As per the POH he replied that he would land immediately. Hence if there was no immediate suitable area he would set it down in an area that might not be the best, but at least it would be controlled and with power. This was my understanding and what I teach.

The examiner had a different opinion. The examiner said that the correct procedure would be to land immediately if a suitable area was available. However if one were not available, it would be correct to maintain altitude (+1000ft) and then try and make you way to a suitable landing area, as there would be enough fuel for a few minutes (5min). If then along the way the fuel ran out, then do an autorotation.

Now, the question is which procedure would be correct to instruct initial students or even commercial applicants. I have looked and have found no official definition from the FAA on what land immediately actually implies, so I would guess it is open to some interpretation.
Views would be kindly welcome.
Thanks

(edited for poor spelling)

Last edited by genocchio; 22nd May 2006 at 11:40.