PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military back-up refused for strike by firefighters
Old 21st May 2006, 22:30
tonkatechie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I served on a GG (and later on a RG) crew in Op Fresco. I remember being dumfounded by the FBU's 'request' for a 40% increase in wages, claiming it was needed to bring the pay up to modern standards, following years of no or little pay-rises. I asked myself then: "what the were they doing for so long before pushing so hard for an increase?" After all, it was obvious to the biggest idiot that they were never going to get that much, even if you take into account the old 'ask for more than you really want, so everyone walks away feeling happy' scenario. However, despite this, my training (BART course and GG training) showed me that the firemen do have a strenuous and dangerous job (I still ache at the thought of carrying a man heavier than me down a 2 storey ladder). This respect for what they do is still tainted by a lack of respect for their striking - they court themselves as heroes (and if I was saved by one, that's what I'd consider him / her) but do real heroes abandon you in a time of peril? I understand that it's really a catch 22 situation, afterall, they had their livelihoods to think of. However, if the armed forces were given the right to strike, I don't think I could do it.
Gilchrist certainly led the FBU down a dark path that autumn / winter, and I wonder who or how this latest strike has really come about. What is for certain is that the level of political wrangling and spin in all of this is disgusting - people's lives are at stake.
Also, I don't recall that any firefighters actually blockaded equipment, rather they said that if it was used by the military they would consider it u/s until it had been serviced. Hence the reason our RG came from a training unit.
Oh, and I didn't mind if I got abuse from any firemen - I just politely thanked them for all the extra pay I was getting in the form of LSSA