PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 19:22
Ornithologist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where were you?

Originally Posted by dazjs
Thank you for enlightening me.
Its possible that I am not as familiar to the organisation as yourself. However, on a more serious note, as one is entitled to have as opinion, I do feel that in times of conflict and when our regular boys are out in the Gulf without the right clothing or hardware, that taxpayers money is misplaced on such activities. I am not Pro War in the slightest. I simply feel that those guys are going out there on a shoe string. And the RAF are still pouring bucket loads of cash into ATC. How much does one Glider cost? How many do they have? they reducing the RAF all the time and i just think the priorities are all to . end of lecture.
Just how many of those Regular Folks 'Out there' in the Gulf do you think went through the ATC/CCF? - a very large percentage!. I dont think they begrudge the ATC its existence, or its funds, & the time & effort of ATC & VR(T) Volunteers who helped send out better prepared and well rounded personnel. Let them speak for themselves.

Any organisation that does not invest in its future is bound to fall... That is why the Government ergo, the RAF, recognises that it has to invest in the countries future, not just today, with the training and investment they make in the Corps.

The current conflicts will fade away, then the next one comes along, such is the nature of conflict, but to dismantle 1000 ATC squadrons, plus VGS's, AEF's, Training Centres etc not to mention all the Property, across the country for a perceived short term financial gain would cost the Country considerably more and take a virtually impossible amount of time and effort to attempt to recreate it in times of greater need.

The AFB & The AMP downwards make these decisions, you have to abide by those decisions made within the organs of Government & by our Senior Officers who help make the policy, thats why its a Service, not a meritocracy..

Dajzs, yes you are cleary not familiar with the organisation, and yes you are entitled to an opinion, however an INFORMED opinion is best. Go and bone up a bit more on the Detail, Dig beneath the gloss. If you had you would have realised the true value of the ATC and why its essential to invest

The disgraceful situation of our Boys & Girls out there not having the right equipment and protection is a different, and far more important discussion