PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Navy in Direct Competition with the UK for most expensive Carrier
Old 21st May 2006, 16:35
sense1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Tornado's are obsolete and are going to be replaced by the Typhoon
The Tornado F3 is going to be replaced by the Typhoon but the Tornado GR4 has got about 10 - 15 years of service life to go. Whilst there are many drawbacks of the GR4, vulnerability & maintenance etc, its a little harsh to say it is obsolete. The GR4 upgrade (from GR1) introduced many improvements with several planned for the future. It also has several advanced weapons available for use - these days its more about the systems than the airframe, don't you think?! Tornado F3 now has a reasonable radar and 2 very capable types of missiles. I'm not saying its a great jet, but obsolete.... its not that bad either!
Typhoon which is supposed to be able to be Navalized with a very small cost.
Heh heh! Define very small cost! What about the Typhoons delivered to date and those in an advanced state of construction - shall we just modify those at a small cost as well?!
with plenty of room for the Harriers, Merlins, SeaKings, Lynx's and Chinooks, E2D's.
What good would it be to have our (short legged) ground attack Harriers, troop carrying Merlins, Chinooks, Sea Kings and Lynxs on a CVF in the middle of the Ocean??
you could move the RN and RAF front line forces to the carriers with room to spare and thus do away with a lot of land bases.
Eggs and baskets my dear fellow. All of our asstes on a couple of platforms - not the greatest idea in the world now is it?!
I can see what you are getting at SASless and I agree that it would be just wonderful for the RN to get a couple of Nimitz carriers But the ways in which we may go about getting such a capability that you have suggested in your last couple of posts is, IMHO, just a little bit silly!