PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of 121.5mhz (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 15:57
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Andu:

"And yes, I leave 121.5 on and up in the Lambourne hold and on finals into Heathrow, (as per company SOP, it's always selected, except briefly, when that radio is used to contact the company or perhaps get an ATIS).....except on Sunday afternoons in UK ........".

I am totally fascinated by this. I have never ever flown for a company that insisted in its SOPs that I have to have 121.5 turned on and up in a high traffic environment. What would such an SOP be trying to achieve? There is a very good D & D organisation in the UK and the likelihood of you getting involved in relaying a Mayday whilst on finals at Heathrow is, quite frankly, risable.

Furthermore, are you seriously suggesting that your No.2 box would not be on the ATIS whilst LVPs were in force or do you REALLY switch back and forth to Guard? What does your SOP say about that?

Does it really say in your SOPs that you can ignore your SOPs on a Sunday afternoon in UK or are you admitting that you don't really follow SOPs that you (and I) think are pointless?