PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heading for disaster
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 13:30
bluestack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this discussion really pertinant to my position..not instructing yet mind..

I agree with what r22driver was saying, but disagree with trevors cat..

Thirdly (point b): There are a lot of hour builders who have no experience of commercial ops and instruct, just to build hours. to them I say f~~~ ~ff. Why? because they dont give a f~~~.
I don't think there's anything wrong with being honest and instructing to hour build, all the newbies have accepted that's the only way to do it - doesn't mean your heart and motivation isn't in it, and you don't want to give the best instruction you can, you might even enjoy it, or be good at it..Agreed there's varying degrees of competancy and natural instructing ability, we're assuming good eggs not bad..

When an insurance company dictates to a commercial operation who they can and can't hire - what option do we have (irrespective of attitude and ability).

For that reason I also understand that I need to accept a 500/1000 hour instructor, if that's how I'm going to do it..

But for all those that disagree and this is what I'm interested in..especially if there is the reported shortage and this is really pertinant to all in the industry..

What's the solution ?

as bellfest says :
4)I don't think that there is any room for mentoring in the first 1000 hours, in a flying school or in a commercial operation. As I have stated before, it is much more beneficial to assume you are behind the eight ball and not in front of it. Knighting a fresh pilot with the privelege to teach can place them in front of the eight ball. Having a pre conceived idea of ones ability is not that beneficial in this game.
If there's no room for mentoring and insurance companies dictate to commercial ops.....what is the way forward ?

I mean if you come fresh faced and wet behind the ears out of instructing - you may be light years behind the guys you're joining - but isn't this where the real education begins ??

I'd love to fly with the grey beards, and like to know from what 170' has said, what the reason they're not doing it is ?

Is it purely financial ?

And if it is - increasing the prices isn't going to relieve any perceived or otherwise pilot shortage - only going to make it worse..