PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wankel engine?
Thread: Wankel engine?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 23:50
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevvron
Surely a diesel Wankel would get round the lubrication, economy and emissions problems?
Fraid not, Chevvron. In a 4-stroke an oil film adheres to the cylinder wall, and actually survives combustion - although this is how the diesel combustion particulates get into the oil. The inlet/exhaust flow doesn't interfere with this oil film, so remains clean. In either 2-stroke or rotary the oil film is constantly swept into the ports, so either escapes directly in the exhaust or becomes a product of incomplete combustion.

That said emissions on aircraft are nowhere near as strict as autos - i'm not sure what the exact requirements are. The problem with rotary diesel is mainly a maximum 12:1 compression ratio, limiting autoignition - good injection mixing is also harder to arrange.

Originally Posted by Dave Jackson
... fuel consumption of a Wankel varies greatly over the normal automobile operating range but the fuel consumption is the same as a reciprocating engine at its optimal rpm.
Compared to an avgas Lycoming i can believe it, Dave - Low RPM gives more time for heat transfer into the cooling system. If a new engine project was being started specifically for a helicopter (ie high RPM) i think rotary would be in the concept investigation, but various factors would rule it out - total loss lubrication for the rotor seals would be my worry, since there are various ceramic coatings that can help with heat loss.

The VW soln for aluminium bores...

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 21st May 2006 at 08:46.