PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 22:00
DK338

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ho hum here we go,

So the time honoured 60% Officers and 40% Airmen are ex-ATC is tripe then?
Actually that's not what I said, what I did say though was:

Ah that old chestnut, where they always get them from - civvy street. Don't overplay your position, if you honestly believe that the ATC is the single source of personnel for the future RAF you're living in dreamland.
Not denying the contribution that the ACO makes to RAF recruitment, bearing in mind of course that officially it is not a recruiting tool for the RAF, but these figures only serve to illustrate that 40% of officers and 60% of airmen come from outside of the ACO. Also they're stats and I have a deep mistrust of any statistical data produced by a government department.

With the passing of the generations that served during the war or National Service cadets is the main exposure kids get to the Armed Forces apart from Hollywood blockbusters . Without the hard work of the VR(T) and ATC staff that have never worn HM’s uniform (of whatever colour) ‘in anger’ the cadet system would collapse – there aren’t enough of us old bastards to go round and many of us don’t have the time to commit to uniformed service.
Can't disagree with you on this Maple old boy, mind you I decided to put on a uniform for the very reasons you highlight. Sad really that so few ex regulars actually do get involved, but from my experiences so far with mates who are still serving their view of the ATC is very poor. Bumped into an old boss who is now a pretty senior chap a few weeks ago in an Officers' Mess, he was initially delighted that I had decided to leap across into the dark side until I told him it was with the ACO, his reaction was less than enthusiastic although being the gent that he is he didn't actually say anything.

I spent 2 years at a VGS in the North West, and 6 years in the ATC. In that time I personally knew 6 people who are now regular officers, and 3 lads who are now Commercial pilots, one in NATS and 4 in the RAF ground trades- hopefully that will be 4 Commercials pilots when I get there - so on that count the system is producing lots of air minded people, and I thought that was the point of the ATC/VGS/UAS?
This data although superficially impressive tells me nothing other than that you were already interested in aviation and the ATC probably did little to influence you or your buddies.