PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of 121.5mhz (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 21:19
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all this chatter, I'm lost!

My company which spends half its time flying through TMA's has no policy about listening to 121.50. If you receive no R/T for a bit we do radio check or revert to previous freq...Simply as. We have no time to monitor another frequency.

As an instructor of PPL, come on commercial pilots. Do you remember the first time you picked up the mike to do a PA???? All very well talking about it but doing it is another kettle of fish. Now think back to your PPL if you can? Again yeah, we can use GPS blah blah blah. But when the **** hits the fan and you are lost and totally out your depth, you have a hand on the stick and no further mental capacity.......dial 121.50 and call "Help".

You professional guys forget. Its exactly because of comments and attitudes of clever wits that stops PPL's having the ordacity to press the PTT on 121.50 for "fear" of sounding a dick. So why not (as an FI) ask the D&D controller if its a good moment - to then prove to the stude that actually, when you really need the service - stuff protocol and sounding "correct" - just talk to the fella and ask for help......

Jesus, one day this pilot is going to need it. Whether it be 121.50 or an active radar frequency. On the basis most normal frequnecies are max'd out all the time, why not do it when the D&D can accept.

As a student or new PPL, its grand to know that in reality, when you need help on whatever freqency, it doesn't matter what you say aslong as you talk and obtain help. Cos then - LIFE IS SAVED.

Same with boating - most boats have a GPS etc - when its rough and sea pouring over the open deck - we have to resort to belt n braces. Compass et al. SAme with flying - try fart arsing around with a GPS when you don't know your arse from your elbow?

I find it very sad that people are reluctant to use a distress frequency because of fear of reprisal. If true professional's can't deal with a facet of learning the ropes then I am ashamed to be part of this profession.