PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 20:23
DK338

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do feel that in times of conflict and when our regular boys are out in the Gulf without the right clothing or hardware, that taxpayers money is misplaced on such activities. I am not Pro War in the slightest. I simply feel that those guys are going out there on a shoe string. And the RAF are still pouring bucket loads of cash into ATC. How much does one Glider cost? How many do they have? they reducing the RAF all the time and i just think the priorities are all to . end of lecture.
Couldn't agree more! But what really grips my sh!t are people noncing around in military uniforms with no military service and I do not mean RNR/TA/RAuxAF.

Do not misunderstand me, I am fully aware of the value of any youth organisation but where youth leaders are allowed to hold the Queens Commission in a military organisation without ever having fulfilled any military service then I do have an issue. Since becoming more involved with the ATC I have become increasingly aware of people who have no desire to join the regular service but instead see the ATC as a good way in without any of the commitment expected for the wearing of the uniform. A recent example is a CWO who openly stated that he saw military life as too dangerous but still 'fancied' being an officer. A VR(T) commission was his chosen path.

My suggestion would be that VR(T) officers would become ATC officers, wear different coloured rank badges, in a similar vein to the ROC, be given different titles and wear the ATC CI style badge as a collar dog on the No1 with the same badge being used as a hat/cap badge. And no right to use the respective messes, you earn the right to use these facilities and no member of the ATC, unless of course they are ex regular SNCO/Commissioned, has earned that right!

As for the cadets, they wouldn't know any better!

And where do you think the RAF of 2010, 2015 or 2020 will come from?
Ah that old chestnut, where they always get them from - civvy street. Don't overplay your position, if you honestly believe that the ATC is the single source of personnel for the future RAF you're living in dreamland. I would argue, and this is from first hand experience, that some of the worst examples of the RAF are ex ATC. I have rather wondered about young people who display an unhealthy interest in militarism, rather more keen on the youngster who joins for the adventure than the drill and military crap myself.