PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 18:58
dazjs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgdaviso
dazjs - you obviously don't have an iota of a clue of what goes on.....

The ATC Central Gliding School parents our 29 gliding squadrons (spread around the country). This means the have to maintain the glider fleet (I have no idea how many gliders we have, but guessing at a minimum of 2/3 per squadron means probably over 100 aircraft. All of which need airworthiness certificates - annual inspections, etc etc. The instructors also need to have annual check rides, etc, etc and theres all the niff naff and triv to do, so they don't just "glide all day", but provide a professional service to the UK largest gliding school operator and best voluntary youth organisation..
Thank you for enlightening me.
Its possible that I am not as familiar to the organisation as yourself. However, on a more serious note, as one is entitled to have as opinion, I do feel that in times of conflict and when our regular boys are out in the Gulf without the right clothing or hardware, that taxpayers money is misplaced on such activities. I am not Pro War in the slightest. I simply feel that those guys are going out there on a shoe string. And the RAF are still pouring bucket loads of cash into ATC. How much does one Glider cost? How many do they have? they reducing the RAF all the time and i just think the priorities are all to . end of lecture.