PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heading for disaster
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 13:20
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep positive, Rotary is good.

I don’t think anyone needs a flamesuit, all have a lot of good points and perhaps some newbie instructors do miss explaining some of those million questions.

For instance we should all visit Blenders’ ‘settling with power and/or vortex ring etc thread’ to quantify “just some” of the more elaborate points, LTE is another oft mistaken phobic pile of bull dust. Dare I mention Melbourne Australia? –old thread-

I clearly, very clearly remember a bit of a discussion I had with my 300hr newbie instructor, (a yarpie) state-side when I was upgrading from PHPL to CHPL. We’d been talking about hovering autos that we’d been doing down-under in ‘47s from the top side or less of the magic curve. He reckons, “let’s go and do them in this 269B”. I had about 3.5K at the time, all in 47’s, and five – that’s 5.O - only on the 269 and my reply was kind of unprintable. Like-No way!

On the other side of the experience coin;

Another student there, a NASA employee and multi endorsed from DC3 to many fast jets, was doing his rotary as a prelude for going onto A5’s. He picked up on the conversation and went out with his instructor, a 1200 or so hour femme (as good as they all are) and worked down to them quite neatly. Why, I don’t know as a flame out in an A5 at a 300’ hover would fall into the - extremely exciting for a short space of time- category.

However a basic license is about basic skills, with discipline! “Nothing’s a-changin there”. One big problem that I have experienced is as below;

I can say with all honesty of the several hundred newbies and many others that were not newbies that I have flown with well less, yes I mean well less than half actually, basically, put the life saver right down – or even less - when I cut the power. Quite plainly their first engine failure would have been their last!!

Why is this??!!

Maybe instructors could use a musical chairs charade as a simulator, when the music stops – push down with your left arm – someone else (their close friend?) standing behind to cuff 'em with a broom when they don’t! Make it real? with the Apocalypse now sound track, oh yeah and the bloody video!!

Mind you, here I am only talking about what happens before ‘they’ get to the hangar! Quite happy to put some logic, and facts, into the other later, like the broom is not the master of advancement at all, (absolutely no pun intended there, sorry!) merely an indicator of attitude.

Keep smiling newbies; I wouldn’t have missed this life for quids!!!