PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contract flying and Taxes???
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 12:46
SKYTORT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

I am pretty 100% sure of what I am about to say with regards to days out of the country required. So I hope this will help with your question.

First of all, residency has to do with non-citizens who work in SA. SARS does not determine this on a "thumb suck" basis, but rather, the requirements for being considered a residence is written down. Think about it,when a foreigner starts using our wonderful roads, medical services and police services, they must pay their dues as well.

With regards to you tax claim as a contract pilot, here are the requirements, and please don't even try and suggest something else than what I am about to say since I have just gone through the ordeal to get a rather hefty some of money from them. Here are the requirements:

1.) You have to be OUTSIDE of South Africa for a total (aggregate as the SARS puts it) of 183 days or more. These days spent outside the country MUST be on behalf of your employer, so no, your little holidays abroad will not count.

2.) WITHIN the 183 day aggregate, AT LEAST 60 DAYS will be CONSECUTIVE.

Its good to keep airline boarding passes, but your only chances to disprove them when they get obstinate, is to have passport copies clearly indicating travel dates.

Like I said, I just went through the whole process of gathering evidence. But for those paranoid blokes, go and visit their website. Unless it has changed, I will put my on a block to corroborate what I have just said - guess I just really want to save somebody time and money, but not when it comes to flying jobs

Hope all the info helps gents!