PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heading for disaster
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 12:11
Flingwing207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT seems we have two different topics here. One is the concept of low-hour, new to the industry CFIs providing primary training. In the USA, all training up through CFII should be considered "primary training" - your profession-specific training starts when the job starts. To me there's no issue.

CFIs teach the basics of helicopter flying and the aviation environment, and indeed, the "minimum standard" is good enough, as long as employers don't expect their new 1,000-pilot to have more than a really good handle on the basics. If an employer needs their pilots to be able to do field repairs, the employer has to train the pilot to do field repairs. If the minimum standard is not being met (or is not acceptable), that's a problem with our method of certifying pilots. Don't blame a CFI for training folks to the standards of the FAA or CAA or JAR or whatever - fact is, you don't need a bazillion hours to understand the concepts, and lots of time in the cockpit doesn't mean you'll be a good instructor.

The other issue is the perceived (or actual) work ethic of a pilot. Unfortunately, it's an entirely subjective issue just how willing a pilot (any employee) should be to do "whatever comes along", "go the extra mile", whatever. If I hire on as a pilot, should I be happy stripping paint off of old hangars because it needs to be done? Should I know how to work on helicopters (and put in the extra hours doing so) because an operator is unwilling to hire a full-time mechanic? At what point am I allowed to say "this is not the job I hired on for"?

It's one thing if a pilot is shirking duties, or if a want-to-be pilot is unwilling to put in the time and training required. If floor-sweeping is a recognized part of the industry, or a documented part of the job, then yes, we should see pilots sweeping floors. Otherwise...