PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of 121.5mhz (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 10:22
Faire d'income
I call you back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I read the title of this thread I thought great finally something might be done about this.

Then I read the report and am bitterly disappointed with it. Inevitably the thread then became a GA v Commercial feud. The analysis is misleading and smacks of a vested interest.

Firstly there is a serious problem with using the emergency frequency as a practice facility whether or not the report acknowledges it. Can you imagine an ER or an A&E allowing first aid courses to be carried out in an operating emergency room?

Secondly this is not merely a UK problem as the practise pans can be picked up by our high flying friends well outside UK airspace. This also helps to tilt the stats against the Commercial outfits as a crew in french airsace accidentally transmitting on guard can be picked up in the UK.

No other country allows this ridiculous practise. Why not? Commercial crews should of course be more vigilant to prevent accidental use but some errors are inevitable. That is no justification for allowing the frequency to be blocked by trainees.

This practise may cause a serious problem one day when some unfortunate crew go silent for whatever reason and have 121.5 turned down in the UK ( as I usually do ). Throw in a few unforseen circumstances and .......

Again I state this is not about GA v anyone else. It is about safety and security and both groups have their responsibilities.