PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this right?
Thread: Is this right?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2006, 08:52
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apaddyinuk
On that Gatwick, I feel that if it cannot be understood by those who have English as their first language or if they even have to strain slightly to understand it, then the person should under no circumstances be making any PA's!
True Paddy...........but it is also true that English PA's should be made clearly also by English speaking people.......that is no strong accents!!!!!

And this is true also for communications in general on the aircraft...when I fly with some CC from Glasgow/Cardiff/Dublin I can barely understand any words on the interphone and always ask them to repeat themselves....which makes me look like an idiot, but I don't think I am the one to blame???

When I applied to AirEurope Italy, one of the tests on the first selection day was being able to speak English and being able to read PA's in Italian clearly and without any accent. We had a one day course on talking over the PA during our initial training and had to demonstrate that also when we had out State exam in Rome.
I believe BA used to have this as well during the initial course years ago but it has been cut due to the new expense-cutting philosophy.

FBW