PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL
Thread: BRISTOL
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 20:13
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the current situation regarding the airport’s master plan? The draft plan and the airport website state that the final plan would be published and submitted to government in “early 2006”.

This would be followed by a planning application in the spring of 2006.

The draft master plan was clear that time is of the essence if the terminal extension and other buildings that require planning permission are to be built within the proposed timescale.

It would seem then that there is slippage in the timescale already.

Perhaps there is more behind-the-scenes manoeuvring than meets the eye and this is holding things up. It is clear that the Stop Bristol Airport Expansion group, or more accurately a set of disparate groups, will never be persuaded that any expansion is justified, so it would be understandable for the airport to be lobbying organisations and even notable individuals who do not have a dogmatic agenda from which they will not be swayed.

I saw the local BBC News today in which some residents of Bath held a public meeting (it did not look well attended though) to complain that aircraft noise is blighting their lives. I live roughly midway between Bath and the airport, almost under the usual approach for 27, and cannot say that the aircraft bother my wife or me much, except perhaps on low cloud days when 09 is in use and we are sometimes aware of departing aircraft noise.

I have a feeling that anyone who is opposed to air travel growth in the area is now jumping on the bandwagon from afar.