PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm Not Going on any Det!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 16:22
glum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't all doom and gloom. There are still lots of perks, but only for those bothered to take advantage, who also have a job and a sympathetic boss which allows it.

The biggest perks, which for me was overseas postings have gone, to be replaced by constant detatchments to the same places for reasons most of us don't seem to agree with.

I'm sure if we were involved in a 'just' conflict, we'd be feeling better about what we do. But when the general media and public opinion is that we're in the wrong place and achieving nothing it's hard to be proud of what you do.

We had pride in recovering the Falklands - our lands had been invaded. We were proud of intervening in the butchering that was the Balcans. But the Iraq conflict seems to be lurching further and further out of our grasp, and those at the top seem unable to come up with a vision and fix to resolve the problem.

I'm still enjoying what I do, and taking advantage of the remaining perks available where and when I can.

However, I'm not really proud of what we're doing right now - the big picture - or the image we portray to our 'customers' - the little picture - when our frames are underfunded, under protected, and often late or cancelled.(I'm a transport fleet techie).

Bring back the pride, and the morale will follow I think.