PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capped Actuals - What are your experiences?
Old 19th May 2006, 14:03
Down 4 Reprogram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoots,
Crikey - loadsa questions, still this is my understanding:
Fellow capped actual users, whats happening around the various stations with regards to having a sensible couple of beers or wine with a meal as I seem to be hearing different stations applying different rules.Couldnt find anything mentioned on the subject in JSP 752.
The JSP just states that lunch is "two courses and a drink" and dinner "three courses and a drink". I don't believe there has been any central guidance on the meaning of "drink", i.e. alcohol allowed or not. As a result local rules seem to be being applied by each Stn. I hear the Secret Airbase in Oxon is allowing half a bottle of wine but others say none at all!
Also, have been told that IE can only be claimed retrospectively and not up front, is this the same at every station?
IE is also worked out only on actual expenditure so can't be claimed in advance.
Can the young LAC or SAC afford to go on det and have to stump up laundry, phone charges etc.
AFAIK there have been at least two ways developed to dealing with the pay now/claim back afterward problem, either:
1. You claim an advance before you go, but this seems tortuous in itself.
2. Crew based aircraft are continuing to take Imprests, but as has been mentioned elsewhere on this and other threads, this adds to the workload of the Imprest Holder.
Is the 10% allowed for gratuity included in the DS or can it be claimed back in addition to?
Yes your capped actual includes the gratuity.
What if in the USA where the service charge is included on the bill and is above 10%?
AFAIK this is tough - the extra above 10% comes out of your own pocket, but I'll defer anyone who has come up with a legal way round this.
Would be more acceptable perhaps if the civil service had the same rules.
Can't agree more.
D4R