PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training at Essendon
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 10:54
Reverseflowkeroburna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underneath The Radar............
I'll be the first to acknowledge that MB can offer one the benefit of having to deal with a somewhat busier/higher density circuit area and a handy training area, but please don't be so pitifully narrow-minded so as to think that your view is 'the' view.
- airspace restrictions/clearances not available (wasted $$$)
- long transits to training area (wasted $$$)
- long transits to MPC/BSS for circuits (wasted $$$)
- large landing fees (wasted $$$)
- long taxis (wasted $$$)
From my experience of many years of operating out of EN, including learning to fly there:
- ATC delays/restrictions were minimal (excluding departures to the Northwest obviously), in any case no worse than AF, JT, BK etc.
- Valuable experience/discipline can be obtained in the very environment that you as a professional pilot will ultimately have to deal with on a daily basis.
- Any benefit from the 'busy' MB circuit is more than compensated for in a pilot having to exercise due consideration/airmanship in sharing airspace and runways with King Airs, Global Express's, Iskras, DC-3s, GIVs etc.
- "Long transits" to training areas always offered valuable navigational experience which was tempered with weather appreciation that was generally more crucial to the days outcome.
- Large landing fees???? No more 'expensive' than elsewhere I've always thought.
- Taxi times were also comparable to anywhere else (unless you got stuck behind transitting MB aircraft that alway seemed to stop at the runway exits.) and certainly no longer than 13L & 17L at MB.
Of course, that is MHO.........and I can accept that others may be at variance to that.
I should also ponder the question to those interested parties..........."How many areodromes are there in Australia where GFPT holders have the choice of flying to 2 or 3 others airfields??????"
Luvjet, NAT/DAC is not the "one" option at EN for your so called "complete" career. I trained with, trained others at, and worked for, the one organisation at EN and they still exist there in that capacity. While I'm not endorsing any particular choice (that will be up to wannaflyrightnow!), clearly your option is not the only "one!"
Rant over............