PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ben's PPL Diary
Thread: Ben's PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 01:21
i.dingbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just moseyed over here from zero to 45...

Oh good, another PPL diary. I can't really get enough of them. Plus as an expat it's interesting to see the comparison between flying here and back in Blighty. Here I spend about A$203 per hour dual (£81) and I've only ever had one lesson cancelled I think. But I can't fly over castles...

Ben, I had a flight in a 150 last weekend (http://www.iainhosking.com/flying/training/lesson24.php) and we were squashed in like sardines. It was quite difficult to fly with my elbows pressed against my sides. It also needed a fair amount of runway to lug our carcasses into the sky. I'm used to a tandem taildragger (Citabria) which feels comparatively roomy - mind you it looks snug in the back! I had a flight in a PA-28 back in November and it was very spacious, though it felt a bit sedate after the Citabria.

On the subject of weather, I'm coming back to the UK in December for a visit, and I'm wondering what the likelihood is of fitting in a flight or two. I probably won't have my PPL by that time (at my current rate) so I'd need an instructor. Somwhere around Stirling would suit me well - eg Cumbernauld, Fife, Perth...

Anyway, welcome to the air Ben. You'll enjoy every aspect I'm sure (yes, even the exams, if you're prepared). I flew my first solo on 29 April and have another lesson booked tomorrow. I can't wait.

Iain

(P.S. Hi Kookabat - see you at Camden sometime?)

Last edited by i.dingbat; 19th May 2006 at 01:43.